Montag, 16. März 2020

Gifted Gorgeousness SAL - March

Here is my short update for the GG SAL this month. I really wanted to finish the current row on my Map of Middle Earth, but I am still 1 000 stitches short (but I plan to start the last column tonight). Still I am happy with my progress, I went from here:
To here:

The last days were a bit chaotic here, I guess a lot of you are one way or another affected by the corona outbreak. I live in the part of Germany that currently has the most cases. The university is closed from Wednesday on, but we were told to work at home on Friday and more and more shops are closing now and honestly, the whole thing feels like a science fiction / dystopian novel now. Last autumn my book club read "Not forgetting the whale" by John Ironmonger, which deals with exactly the same situation. The main character is building an emergency stock for village where he lives with food and stuff and two things are funny/ interesting:
First, he does stock up hand soap, but I am pretty sure he says that he pays attention to this because people usually forget about such basic things.
Second, he does not talk about toilet paper hoarding.
Honestly, shopping for groceries is not fun these days, people have been going mad for a few weeks now and since most parts of the country announced that the schools are closing, it has gotten worse. I am currently wondering why hand soap is a new thing for so many people and I recently read that the average person in Germany uses 46 rolls of toilet paper PER YEAR and I have seen people buying such amounts now... On the other hand there are a lot of people making fun of the situation. After a lot of people got infected in Berlin after going to discos, there was a recommendation not to go out to party, avoid big parties and so on. This resulted in a couple of people hosting and going to "corona parties" in cologne because they were annoyed by those  "recommendations"... I mean are you kidding me?!?! Also the football games here were cancelled, so thousands of fans met in front of the stadium to demonstrate for the games to go on... Such behavior is (in my view) egoistic and really makes me angry, I completely understand why social life is forced to close down now, because common sense is just not common enough around here.
I myself am not in the high risk group, by a lot of people around me are (my mother in law, my mother, my neighbors) and if I can help protecting them by cutting my social life down, I am more than happy to do that. Sometimes you need to leave your home to do stuff (like shopping groceries, going to a doctor, there are a lot of jobs out there that are important to keep our daily life going), so we just need to cut down where we can to limit the risk of spreading the infection and help flattening the curve.
I am currently a bit worried about my mother in law, she clearly is in the high risk group and everyone knows and accepts this, well, except her... We called her to offer to do the grocery shopping for her or pick up medication for her, but she says she is fine and doesn't want help. On the one hand she is a grown adult and I should respect her decisions, on the other hand she has gotten very ill in the past due to false pride (she  is quite famous for not listening to her doctors when they tell her to cut back)... Has anyone of you similar experiences or maybe a few tips?

Ah I'm sorry, I didn't plan to write such a long text on such a nasty topic, but I have a lot of this going through my mind now. I just hope all of you are save and healthy, please follow the advice to cut down your physical social contacts, I know it's annoying, but we all need to stand together now. Remember there are lots of things to do when you hermit - stitching for example! And if you don't want to stitch alone, have a stitch-a-long via skype ;-) My heart goes out to all of you, keep you heads up and you needles high =)
Happy stitching =)

4 Kommentare:

  1. Beautiful progress. Everything they are saying is confusing. One doctor said to not be around anyone over 60 with health issues. I live with my mother who fits that category. I'm her caretaker. How do I not give it to her? I'm doing my best. Following the rules of washing my hands like crazy but I'm sure scared. Hopefully it all passes by quickly.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. You have made great progress on such an amazing project. Here in Australia we are also in the midst of corona virus pandemonium. My partner and I do fall into the 'at risk' category, so we are self-isolating at home as much as we can. It's early days here, and is going to get a lot worse than it is now, unfortunately.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. So close to the edge of the map, that is very exciting!
    No advice for your MIL, unless you can persuade her that it is for the good of others she needs to stay indoors?

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. So close to a row finish on the map - how exciting! I hope your MIL will come to her senses. I'm glad my grandma is pretty sensible in this regard.

    AntwortenLöschen

Dieser Blog ist mit Blogspot, einem Googleprodukt, erstellt und wird von Google gehostet.
Es gelten die  Datenschutzerklärung & Nutzungsbedingungen  für Googleprodukte.