Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2018

WIPocalypse November

Hello everyone,
I am giving myself a big kick to get this post up, I am in an absolute no-blogging-mood, maybe because I am not getting any stitching done (at least that's what I feel like).
I am getting medication for the pain in my hand now and it's working, at least a bit. The medication takes a few weeks to work properly. You start with a low amount and then you increase it after a days. The stuff makes me a bit dizzy, especially in the evenings. During the first week I fell asleep about one hour after my evening dose, but that already got better. I am seeing my doctor weekly because he wants to watch this closely (which I really appreciate, there are a lot of doctors who just leave you with this stuff and say "well you get used to it" - this might be so in a good amount of cases, but since things can go really wrong with strong pain medication, I prefer someone to double check). We plan on increasing the amount one more time, because I still have a bit of pain. The difference so far is that I even had pain when I didn't do anything with my hand and very strong pain when I was doing light work like carrying a mug or a plat or stuff in general. Those things are now painless, yay! I was also able to stitch a bit more, I did like 300 stitches yesterday! But carrying heavy things, using the hand a lot (cooking was complicated, handling knives, stirring something, carrying pot filled with water) still results in pain, so there is room for improvement.

Another good news is that I am going back to work, no teaching (can't handle that amount of writing), but I want to continue with my phd thesis and honestly - staying at home for a week or two is ok - you go like "yeah reading time" and "yeah stitching time" and "yeah netflix time", but I have been at home for four weeks and I am fed up with it by now... Therefore, I am going back by tomorrow and so I am kicking myself to get this up today.

WIPocalypse was scheduled for 25th November, so I am really late for this. At least my answer to this months question about which new stitching techniques I learned this year is short: None...

As for my progress, I decided to pick up Aurora Cabin by Dimensions Gold - I didn't know what to pick up so I chose something I haven't worked on this year. I worked on it for a few days and went from here:

To here:
I just did a bit of work on the background, but it was nice to see some progress on this. Once I got started on the background, it actually went pretty fast.

The second project I worked on is - as usual - my Kreimhilds Revenge. I went from here:
To here:
I think I added like 3 columns to her, so I have 153 040 stitches done on her. I am positive that I can get page 35 done by the end of the month, especially since a lot of the remaining stitches are black.

Since stitching has been so difficult during the last weeks, I spent a lot of time reading - I did the amazing amount of 12 books in November! Well, at the end of the month I decided to reread Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I didn't finish it so far. I forgot how long this book is - 800 pages! We watched the Harry Potter movies last month, I really like the movies, but there is so much more detail in the books, all those lovely small things that build this world, but I see why it's complicated to include all this in a movie. You know the last time I read this was about 10 years ago, maybe 11. I was pretty young then, I think this was one of the first books I read in English (apart from lectures in school). I remember that I tried to read this book in German a bit earlier, but I dropped it after about 100 pages then, but when I tried this in English, I few through it. Anyway, reading this as an adult (and with a lot more experience with English) is like a whole new experience, I am sort of impressed about how much I remember, but I completely forgot about a few things. The pages are just flying by and it is a true delight to enter this book again, it's a bit like coming home ;-)

Well, this is enough rambling, the next post is due on 30th December. Since I don't have to work between Christmas and new year, I will do my very best to post on the 30th or 31st. Until then,

Happy stitching =)

2 Kommentare:

  1. Glad to hear that the meds are working and you've been able to stitch too. Loads of progress on Kreimhild in particular.
    I love the idea of an entire month off to stitch and read! I don't think I would want to go back though.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm glad to hear your hand is doing better...do you actually know what's wrong now, or just treating the pain?
    It's good to see you got a little more stitching in, too! Hopefully this trend will continue. Just as Jo, I'd love to have a month off, but hurting and not really being able to do anything I guess that can get old pretty fast!
    I loved Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...I reread the whole series a few years ago (okay, I guess it's been five years+ again). The fourth one always feels like a really tipping point between the innocent and more adult themes in the story. And I always have to struggle through the Order of the Phoenix, I just can't stand Umbridge!

    AntwortenLöschen

Dieser Blog ist mit Blogspot, einem Googleprodukt, erstellt und wird von Google gehostet.
Es gelten die  Datenschutzerklärung & Nutzungsbedingungen  für Googleprodukte.